On Sunday Mike and I were both in the mood to do a little home improvement. But, lacking the motivation to accomplish any of the larger items on our very long “punch list”, we decided to demo the bar top! I had mixed feelings about getting rid of the vintage tile, but up close it’s in pretty bad shape and the bar top itself is pretty gross. I’m excited to modernize our little wet bar and maybe finally use it! I had a major aversion to this area once we finished our kitchen remodel that took over a year – we used this little bar as our kitchen for that long and I hated every minute of that. So, after we finished the kitchen I stayed as far away from it for quite a while. But, I’m ready to get back to it. So, we started small – Mike disconnected the plumbing and we were able to pull off the backsplash and bar top in two solid pieces. With demo, I’m always the impatient one – I like to just start banging stuff and breaking it out – but Mike likes to think things thru a bit more. Which in this case was a good thing. So, here is where we started:
excuse the crappy phone pics below – I was too lazy to get out my ‘real’ camera
So, our plan from here is as follows:
- Mike is going to attempt to make a concrete countertop
- New modern sink. I love this one from Overstock, and it’s really reasonably priced:
- New modern faucet to go with our awesome sink.
- Repaint the cabinet with a fresh coat of paint, and add new pulls.
- Tile backsplash (I plan to reuse some leftover tile from past remodeling projects, but I haven’t decided which yet)
So, it’s a start! We’re excited to make this a really cool wet bar!